More than Half a Century of Service
On June 8, 1951, a committee of six trade association executives founded the Institute of Canadian Trade Association Executives (ICTAE) – a group of chief executives from national trade associations based in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. Operating from a small Ottawa-based office, the new association developed a constitution, bylaws, hired part-time staff, and began a remarkable tradition of service.
In 1953, the fledgling Institute held its first annual business meeting, approved 25 membership applications, and elected the first woman – Florence Montgomery of the Canadian Restaurant Association – to its board. Member services included a newsletter, employee referral and group insurance discounts.
The Institute changed its name to the Institute of Association Executives (IAE) in1956 and opened its doors to all individuals employed by non–profit associations. On October 18, 1962, the Institution was incorporated under federal charter and moved from Ottawa to Toronto two years later. In 1987, the association changed its name again – this time to its current title, the Canadian Society of Association Executives (CSAE).